Monday, November 1, 2010

Advice to Baruch College

Although I have many grievances with Baruch technology, I feel that the biggest nuisance is the weekly (though sometimes more frequent) school newsletter and bulletin sent via the Baruch email. The baruchmail account is a very convenient medium to communicate with your professors and fellow classmates. I have even synched my account to my phone to make sure not to miss any pertinent information sent from faculty. To say that the frequent "CUNY Newswire" and "This week at CUNY" messages are an annoyance would be an understatement, and unfortunately there is no way to unsubscribe from them! Although I will go out on a limb and say that most of student body simply disregards these notifications, I recognize that some people probably read them and find them informative. I think that utilizing an RSS to show all CUNY updates and events would be an optimal way of conveying the information. This way, they are not clogging the inbox's of those who are not interested in the Newswire as well as opening an interactive channel to reach those who wish access the information. Another proposal would be to post all of the information on a live wiki that can be accessed by all of students and faculty. All of the significant CUNY information can be conveniently organized in easy to find sections updated weekly. I think that CUNY should take these propositions into consideration as it will help to both, keep our mailbox's uncluttered and convey important information in a more efficient manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment