Tuesday, November 9, 2010

About My Term Research Paper

I can honestly say that this assignment was the most enjoyable paper writing experience I have ever endured. My interest in the topic was sparked by fact that Social Networking is so expansive in today's culture along with the heated back and forth debate regarding it's alleged benefits. I started my research using Google's scholarly search to find articles by intellectuals discussing how Social Networking sites affect us individually and socially. Earlier in the year I had read an article claiming that although you communicate with dozens of "friends" via these websites, your actual face-to-face social skills are declining. I found this exceptionally interesting since I always found my Facebook, for example, experience to be enhancing my social skills as I am communicating and sharing ideas with many people that I would never had the chance to speak with otherwise. Through my research I have found that there are a lot of conflicting findings regarding and benefit or harm that Social Networking sites may be inflicting on their users. Some sources state that although we may be connecting and staying in touch with many "friends" through these websites, our core face-to-face interactions with family members are experiencing an expeditious decline. This source states that these family ties are key to ones social progression. However, other sources see Social Networking solely as a great medium to rekindle past love, network for potential careers and stay in touch with distant family members. Personally, I am not sure how being a user of this website is affecting me socially but I can say that it is definitely a great tool that is a contributing factor in retaining our social ties. Due to it's incredible popularity, I foresee social networking websites to stay around for a very long time, along with the debate over their advantages.

No comments:

Post a Comment